Be the first to know! Get a head start on global political and economic events this week that shape your business, strategy, and programs in just 10 minutes. Subscribe to this newsletter to receive the latest edition, every Monday.
WEEK IN REVIEW
Today is the United Nation International Universal Health Coverage Day. Today, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) is expected to release its Annual Handbook of Statistics. Also today, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is expected to release its Statistical Yearbook and Pocketbook. Saudi Food Expo is ongoing this week in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The Global Partnership for Effective Development Co-operation Summit (GPEDC) meets in Geneva, Switzerland. UN Biodiversity Conference (COP 15) is ongoing in 7-19 December 2022 in Montreal, Canada.
U.S. Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Subcommittee on Communication, Media, and Broadband will have hearing on solutions to meet America’s broadband needs (Meeting Details). EU Parliament will be discussing Renewable Energy, Energy Performance of Buildings and Energy Efficiency Directives: amendments (REPowerEU) 2022/0160(COD) , as well as ASEAN relations ahead of the EU-ASEAN Summit in December 2022 2022/2999(RSP) and LINK. The World Health Organization (WHO) will today launch its first-ever global tax manual on sugar-sweetened beverages.
U.S. House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Trade has a hearing on Promoting Sustainable Environmental Practices Through Trade Policy. U.S. House Science, Space, and Technology Subcommittee on Research and Technology will have a hearing on Building Regional Innovation Economies. U.S. House Oversight and Reform Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis is having a hearing on Preparing for and Preventing the Next Public Health Emergency: Lessons Learned from the Coronavirus Crisis. EU Parliament will be debating the EU response to the US Inflation Reduction Act 2022/2997(RSP) . The World Health Organization (WHO) will today release its Global Analysis and Assessment of Sanitation and Drinking-Water (GLAAS) 2022 report, showing the latest status of drinking-water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) systems in more than 120 countries.
U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Subcommittee on Superfund, Waste Management, and Regulatory Oversight is having a hearing to examine the impact of plastic use and identifying solutions for reducing plastic waste.
4th International Symposium on Smart and Healthy Cities, Shanghai, China. 4th International Conference on Sustainable Technologies for Industry 4.0, Dhaka, Bangladesh. 5th International Conference on Sustainable Development and Green Technology, Sydney, Australia.
SATURDAY & SUNDAY
A quiet weekend in politics.
GLOBAL ECONOMIC PULSE
Central banks in US, UK, Eurozone and other places meet this week. US Consumer Price Index, UK GDP, labor market and inflation data will be released. Most importantly retail sales and industrial production numbers from both US and China will be available. Interest Rate decisions also will be announced by Colombia (currently 11.0%), Costa Rica (currently 9.0%), Mexico (currently 10.0%), Philippines (currently 5.0%). Inflation rates from Czech Republic, Hungary, Nigeria, Panama, Poland, Romania, and South Africa will be released. Businesses in the U.S. are scaling back. B2B spending slipped 1.7% in October after a 2.8% reduction in September, though spending was up 6.6% versus a year ago slowing down from September’s 10.2% annual rate.
Quarterly earnings will be announced by: Oracle, Softbank, BHP, National Australia Bank, Bouygues, Eletrobras, Ping An Insurance Co. of China, NTT, Adobi, Nintendo, Daikin, Merck, Accenture, China Shenhua Energy Co., Mitsubishi.
NOTEWORTHY REPORTS, REGULATIONS, LEGISLATION, DECISIONS & EVENTS
- U.S. President Joe Biden on Monday invited Brazil‘s President-elect Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to visit the White House.
- A report was published by the National Bureau of Economic Research on whether government subsidies are making auto manufacturers more productive in China.
- India’s Ministry of Road Transport & Highways is providing financial assistance for road safety per announcement.
- U.S. Department of Energy announces $2.5 billion loan to Ultium Cells for three domestic battery cell manufacturing facilities.
- The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and the Digital Agency of Japan and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport of the UK have established an ambitious and comprehensive digital partnership. Details can be found here.
- Global crises and complex policy problems are forcing governments to rethink the way they regulate. OECD has published a report.
- White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) announced a historic slate of bold actions across the U.S. government drive transformative change across the American science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine (STEMM) ecosystem by dramatically expanding access and opportunities and bolstering America’s global competitiveness based on a 5-year strategic plan. External partners have made commitments as part of this plan.
- US-EU Joint Trade and Technology Council issued a statement detailing their priorities. A report on The geopolitics of AI and the rise of digital sovereignty was published by Brookings institution.
- Horizon Europe is the research and innovation support program in a system of European and national funding programs that share policy objectives. Part 4 of the Horizon plan focuses on Health. The priorities were published last week and being aggressively funded in Europe.
- Advance biomanufacturing and in turn advance the resulting bioeconomy faces three key challenges detailed in a report. They must be addressed, according to The President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST). PCAST is a Federal advisory committee appointed by the US President to augment the science and technology advice available from inside the White House and from the US Federal agencies.
- An excellent synopsis of US Federal agency jurisdictions on US Trade Policy was published by Congressional Research Service.
- A summary of US Foreign Assistance to Latin America and Caribbean was published detail funding in US national budget for Fiscal Year 2023.
- A report detailing the future of vaccine policy in UK was published.
How can we help you?
Government Analytica is a government and regulatory affairs consultancy that uses analytics to demonstrate the public value of government proposals, serving clients in companies, associations, non-profit and NGO’s. We focus on technology, healthcare, infrastructure, urbanization, mobility, safety, and security markets and industries. We have over 30 years of Government Marketing and Government and Regulatory Affairs experience having conducted thousands of projects in US, Europe, Asia, Middle East, and Latin America.